Steve's 180

Dang that’s some high phosphates! You think maybe run some gfo so slow things down a bit ?
NoPox worked fine before, with the skimmer back pulling stuff out I think it'll come down pretty quick. I'm not going to panic, I've had tanks run fine higher than that, nothing seems to be dying.

I guess I'm overdue for an update. In March I went out of town for several weeks and right after I left the skimmer went crazy. I had my brother open the drain valve on the skimmer cup so it drained back in the tank. Still got the aeration but nothing was being pulled out. Hair algae took hold, post #79 above shows how it looked on April 10. Water changes, gfo, manual removal and fluconazole were useless.. By May 8 it was terrible, looked like this.20210508_163941.jpg

Started Vibrant on 5/23, prescribed dose once/week. Kept wet continued, pretty much the same, but skimming wet, continued
Red Sea Nopox even though nitrate and phosphate readings were way down, I figured that was due to algae consuming. They never went to zero It took a while to see a difference. Late in week 5 on 6/26 it looked like this:20210626_201705.jpg

Four week quarantine completed today for the 5" Regal and 4" Yellow Tang I got from Shawn. They are SO happy to move from the 40 breeder to the 180. Even though they are being harassed a bit by the 3 1/2" Bristletooth and 3" Powder Brown. I hope they learn quickly that they are smaller than these new guys, they are getting the worst of it.20210729_201532.jpg

Last edited:
Last Vibrant dose was week 10, only a half dose, on August 25. I blew off the rocks with a powerhead yesterday. Both thumbs up for Vibrant, complete success. Nitrate 3.9, phosphate .05. Finally time to move some corals up from the frag tank.
20210807_172244.jpg

Tank is 11 months now. Been through some terrible uglies but things are looking pretty good now. Some of the corals are beginning to color up. I just ordered a Red Sea Coral Colors test kit so I'll soon see if I can help them along with some trace elements.

View attachment 46375
Love that Fox face and powder brown! Tank looks good Steve!

Nice. I’ve always wondered about most of the stuff posted online about what you can and cannot keep together. I have two fox faces in the 150 and they seem to be fine as well as a yellow and purple tang.
The only thing that I’ve experienced is that you cannot keep 2 of the same halichoeres wrasses together. I’ve tried 2 yellow coris and 2 China wrasses and that didn’t work well.

Update, cabinet is starting to get crowded, I'm converting to a calcium reactor. Not sure of the model # Georeef, with Sicce 1.5 for recirculation, Kamoer FX-STP feed, Pinpoint pH Controller, Atlas Scientific probe, Reef Fanatic regulator on a 10lb CO2 tank. Recirc and feed hooked up and running, no leaks. Any pointers on purging air will be appreciated.20220611_183459.jpg

Back