Clown breeding Journal.

jc_k

Market
Reaction score
To start off, I have been wanting to breed clownfish for the past year and have read a lot about it and even asked some local breeders on this forum. Well my skunk clowns laid their second batch on the 6th and they all hatched last night. I bought them as a pawning pair and I have had them for a year and they just recently started spawning when i got a anemone. Well I decided to raise this batch. I'm not looking to make a profit and am doing this because I thought it would be fun. So right now I have about 30 baby clownfish. Originally collected around 50 and 20 died off overnight. So its really not a lot but I really don't care as long as I have some. I have five soda bottles with phytoplankton and 2, 5gallon buckets of rotifers. I had the babies in a 10 gallon but then moved the survivors to a 3 gallon. Some of the babies are black and some are white... kind of weird. I don't really know if this batch is going to live but I will not quit until I have some adult clownfish.

Jacob
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Congratulations. That is not a lot of eggs to start with so your percentage of success is very small. I would wait a couple of weeks until spawn 5 or 6. You will get more eggs as they continue to spawn and the babies that hatch seem to be stronger. In saying that I know how exciting you must be to get this process going. Best of luck!

Curtismaximus;949808 wrote: Congratulations. That is not a lot of eggs to start with so your percentage of success is very small. I would wait a couple of weeks until spawn 5 or 6. You will get more eggs as they continue to spawn and the babies that hatch seem to be stronger. In saying that I know how exciting you must be to get this process going. Best of luck!

Well their were probably 100 more eggs in the tank the night I collected them, and well I'm a school student and we have these big tests this week that determines if we pass the grade or not.... So hopefully when they lay eggs again they will hatch on the weekend.
And thanks everyone. I'm actually driving to school right now lol. But only 2 of the fry have died overnight and the rest are doing awesome.

Jacob,
This is great progress! My first batch was about 10 clowns also but I wanted the experience and it was well worth it. I don't think any one else in the club has had success with raising Skunks. I had a pair for four years and they never laid eggs. Keep us posted and keep up the good work!
bob

Thanks. I've read as much as I can about them (not a lot) and most people have said that they are not normal clowns and are usually irregular spawners. And I just lost my anemone to high slanity so hopefully that doesn't make them stop laying. I just got out of school and will be home it 20min so hopefully they are doing good.

So I am down to 14 clownfish fry. They all seem to be doing awesome. I just got finished with a small water change and added more food to the little tank they are in. They are so fat lol. You can see their little stomachs if you look close enough. I have some more pics and a video.

Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoFwylxLCpQ">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoFwylxLCpQ</a>
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/949940=53282-IMG_4271.JPG">[IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/949940=53282-IMG_4271.JPG" class="gc-images" title="IMG_4271.JPG" style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

for filtration - I made a small little 'sponge filter' and i use a Compact fluorescent for lighting.

Hey, everyone pay attention to this young man.... Please notice the age.... He is only 13 at this time, and doing what MANY of us CAN'T do!!!!

VERY COOL, sir...

Whoa, that's impressive. Ladies and gents this is the future of our hobby right here, breeding clowns at age 13.

Hats off to you Sir.

Jacob,
Typically filtration is not required for the larvae tank. I would keep the water "green" with phytoplankton and feed rotifers, with a gentle air bubble that keeps the water in motion but is not too strong to keep the larvae in motion. I watch for ammonia spikes and do daily water changes to keep the ammonia level down until the larvae go through meta and start to "look like" clowns. At that point they should be eating newly hatched brine shrimp and dry powdered food. After a week or so on the new food it is probably safe to move them to a grow out tank (i used 10G) and add the sponge filter. Still have to watch for ammonia and do water changes. Hope that helps!
bob

Thanks everyone. I think everyone can do this easily I just think that people don't have enough time to try it.

bobz;950108 wrote: Jacob,
Typically filtration is not required for the larvae tank. I would keep the water "green" with phytoplankton and feed rotifers, with a gentle air bubble that keeps the water in motion but is not too strong to keep the larvae in motion. I watch for ammonia spikes and do daily water changes to keep the ammonia level down until the larvae go through meta and start to "look like" clowns. At that point they should be eating newly hatched brine shrimp and dry powdered food. After a week or so on the new food it is probably safe to move them to a grow out tank (i used 10G) and add the sponge filter. Still have to watch for ammonia and do water changes. Hope that helps!
bob

Wait put the green water and Rotifers in the fry tank?

I'm now down to 11 fry. I moved them into the 6 gallon as I just painted the sides and bottom black yesterday. I did what Bob said and put some greenwater into the tank and more rotifers and the fry love it.

I don't use any filtration until they are past meta personally. Just air stone and heater. Then I will use filtration. The rotifers only need an air stone no filtration for them at all. Just harvest and water change often.

Keep up the good work!

Back