Calcium reactor tuning

ptreef

Market
Reaction score
I’m hoping to get the excess gases to purge by really making sure my calcium reactor is dialed in right. Right now I have it set to about 8-10 PSI. PH controller is set to 6.7. Kamoer pump is on 25.0ml/min. My bubble count is roughly 40ish/minute.

Settings were a little different before I adjusted today, and I never could get the air to purge, although the alk in the tank was getting stable at 9.5dkh

Are settings you strive for? There doesn’t seem to be real guidelines especially for PSI that I can find

I am trying out the Deltec auto calcium reactor because I want to see how good it functions. I hated spending weeks dialing it in

Start with a low flow rate through the reactor and set your bubble count to allow you to maintain your PH set point (yours is 6.7).

Now increase your flow rate to match your needs. Adjust your bubble count only when your PH cant be maintained.

Im dialing mine in now and I would be in a murderous rage if I didnt have the alkatronic. I have it maintaining alkalinity but now Im getting too much calcium so I have to turn it down and turn the soda ash dosing up. One of these days Ill finally be able to leave it alone.

for me to get the excess air to purge, I have to remove tubing from the top and push water into the reactor and as it overflows, I push my tube back into the fitting and wipe off the water.
I’ve done this as well, but it seems to come back quickly. I’ve seen where it’s recommended to check for leaks in connections, but I don’t see any problems as it’s been water tight since installation

I’ve done this as well, but it seems to come back quickly. I’ve seen where it’s recommended to check for leaks in connections, but I don’t see any problems as it’s been water tight since installation
I was going to suggest a leak next that it could be pulling in air. I'm assuming you are using the pull method for your pump? I would double check the connections at the dosing pump cause I use to run the Kamoer also and the tubing just lightly slid onto the connections. Maybe a small zip tie to make sure its snug? Also, the tubing that its pulling water from, I'm assuming its coming from a chamber in the sump that the waterline doesn't fluctuate?

I was going to suggest a leak next that it could be pulling in air. I'm assuming you are using the pull method for your pump? I would double check the connections at the dosing pump cause I use to run the Kamoer also and the tubing just lightly slid onto the connections. Maybe a small zip tie to make sure it’s snug? Also, the tubing that its pulling water from, I'm assuming its coming from a chamber in the sump that the waterline doesn't fluctuate?
Yes it’s pulling from a stable chamber in sump so it shouldn’t have any exposure to air. I haven’t seen any sign of a loose connection or salt creep but I can make sure no air is getting in those connections

As far as what I can do consistently, when I close the valve that recirculates the first chamber to the bubble counter/recirc pump plumbing, the air stops. I don’t quite understand what that line is for

Yes it’s pulling from a stable chamber in sump so it shouldn’t have any exposure to air. I haven’t seen any sign of a loose connection or salt creep but I can make sure no air is getting in those connections

As far as what I can do consistently, when I close the valve that recirculates the first chamber to the bubble counter/recirc pump plumbing, the air stops. I don’t quite understand what that line is for
Can you take a pic? I'm not sure what you're talking about since every reactor can be a bit different. I'm running an old Vertex RX-C 6D

Here is a representative of my reactor and how it is connected.
Black line is the intake from the sump
Red line connects the first to second chambers
Blue line is the recirculating from first chamber back to the recirculating pipe
Green line is effluent back to tank

Attachments

• IMG_5379.jpeg
    IMG_5379.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 4
The top of the 1st chamber, the recirculating line, is it connected to the correct one? It should be the one that pulls water from the highest point so that it can pull the trapped air down into the recirculation pump. The one that goes to the 2nd chamber has a stub under it to pull water at a lower level than the recirculating line.

Yes that’s how I have it. There’s just constantly air at the top

Yes that’s how I have it. There’s just constantly air at the top
yeah... I'm at a lost. i have more co2 pumping into my reactor than you based on what you posted and i don't have that issue, else i would lose my mind. only thing i can think of is there has to be a loose connection that its pulling in air. does all the lids have gaskets? but that wouldn't make sense else you'd have a water leak.

Back